Popular styles of interior design, their features and characteristics
Before the start of repairs in an apartment or a separate room, you probably think about what design styles are, and which ones to stop on when creating your future interior. Each of the existing styles has its own characteristics that must be considered. However, there are no strict limitations, and each person who enters the role of a designer can give free rein to his imagination. Style serves as a direction and a point of support, from which you can make a start while creating your own, unique interior that reflects your individuality. Consider the various styles of interior design, as well as their characteristics, the knowledge of which will help to correctly and harmoniously combine the various elements of the decor.
Interior design in classic style can be described as solemn and restrained and conservative, but at the same time lively and cozy. He is inherent harmony, nobility and impeccable taste, which he borrowed from the ancient style, expressing them in his own way. The classic style is suitable for the design of spacious, bright rooms in which there is a place for columns, arches, a fireplace, massive furniture and chandeliers. The classic interior is evidence of high social status, respectability and solvency of the owner of the apartment.
Key features inherent in the classical style
- clarity of lines, proportionality of forms, thinking through every detail;
- availability of solid wood furniture — white with gilded or natural color of noble wood with bronze elements;
- the use of classical columns and semi-columns as stucco elements, stucco moldings, elegant chandeliers made of crystal or bronze, curtains and draperies, mirrors, antique accessories, and paintings;
- warm, pastel, noble, deep tones;
- a variety of natural fabrics with a classic pattern, brushes, tapestries;
- expensive decorative materials — wood, stone, marble;
- parquet floors with an expressive pattern;
- key shapes are oval and circle.
- pale yellow;
- beige brown;
Pure baroque in modern design is not found, but with the skillful use of some recognizable features based on this style, you can create a rich and sophisticated atmosphere in your own apartment. Instead of expensive materials, you can use their high-quality imitation.
Baroque is a complex design style that is not appropriate in every room. With its grandeur and rich decoration, it resembles a classic style. From the restrained and calm classics, it differs in pretentiousness, dynamism of forms, restless rhythm and abundance of details.
Characteristic features of the baroque interior
- pomp, scope, demonstration of luxury and wealth;
- complex, rich decor details;
- the prevalence of noble materials, such as marble, valuable types of wood, bone, crystal, copper, gold, silver, porcelain;
- plastic curved shapes, curls, key pattern — dynamic oval spiral;
- bright paintings, carving, varnishing, gilding, inlay, expensive upholstery, curved legs of furniture;
- Sculptures, frescoes, wall paintings, stucco moldings, mirrors, paintings in rich frames act as decorative elements;
- on the floor — parquet, tiles, carpets, decorated with ornaments.
- marble white;
- Navy blue;
The Art Nouveau style in the interior suggests a transition from straight, measured lines to natural, smooth and curved forms.
Key features of modern
- synthesis of different types of art, stylization;
- traditional materials (wood, stone, fabric) are combined with modern (metal, glass);
- simplicity and functionality of furniture;
- in the decoration and decoration is dominated by natural and floral motifs;
- a large number of original decorative elements, ornaments, living plants;
- the presence of contrasts in color design;
- asymmetry, plasticity and fluidity of forms;
- an abundance of light, large glass surfaces, mirrors, mosaic lamps;
- openwork forging, stained glass, frosted glass, panels, reliefs, the abundance of wood.
- pearl gray;
- the black;
- light brown;
- light green;
Art Deco style synthesizes the features of modernity, cubism and impressionism. The design is characterized by a combination of strict clear lines with floral and ethnic motifs, simplicity with luxury, exotic with primitiveness. The interior is made in this style, luxurious and monumental, but at the same time it looks modern and stylish.
Art Deco features
- the use of elite materials: rare woods, leather, silver, semi-precious stones, ivory;
- plain walls, their main purpose is to create a background for exquisite decorative elements;
- variety of forms — zigzags, circles, semicircles, rectangles, triangles;
- the combination of antiques with objects of art in the style of cubism and impressionism;
- materials such as glass, ceramics, bronze, fabric, leather, marble, light wood, stainless steel, aluminum can be used;
- the richness and variety of colors;
- the interior contains chrome parts, precious jewelry, draperies, exclusive accessories.
Art Deco Colors
- walls — pastel colors, calm shades;
- furniture — dark colors or black;
- decor items — bright, warm, rich colors.
Loft style is best suited for large apartments with a free layout. Initially, it originated in industrial buildings, which were later adapted to residential premises.
Characteristics of the direction loft
- the free space not limited by walls, their function can be performed by transparent partitions made of glass;
- zoning with furniture and wall colors;
- high, roughly whitewashed ceilings, large windows;
- brickwork, open communications, pipes, bare concrete surfaces, metal structures;
- comfortable practical furniture of various forms;
- non-standard accessories, graffiti, posters.
- in the decoration — brick or its imitation, tile, concrete, wood rough treatment;
- for furniture — plastic, leather, glass, metal, wood.
- base palette — cool colors (metallic, gray, blue);
- white — for small spaces as a means of expanding the space;
- variety of bright colors in furnishings.
The modern style of the interior, which is called minimalism, is characterized by simple, clarity, clarity of geometry. In the interior, decorated in this style, you will not find useless accessories, furnishings have a shape that makes them convenient for use as intended. The number of things is minimal, but the interior is not ascetic — there is everything you need for a comfortable stay.
- a large amount of free space, the minimum amount of furniture and accessories;
- abundance of natural light, multi-level artificial lighting;
- there are no curtains on the windows, blinds and shutters perform their function;
- in the decoration there are glass, plastic and metal, brick and concrete are allowed;
- the main forms are squares, circles, straight lines;
- monochromatic furniture of practical colors has a smooth shiny surface without decorations, modular functional variants are welcomed;
- lack of decor (sometimes paintings in the style of abstraction, surrealism or cubism, stylish accessories with practical value are allowed).
- base colors — red, white, gray, black, brick, metallic, natural wood shades;
- accents: a combination of black with red, orange, shades of yellow and purple.
The modern hi-tech style is conciseness, comfort, high technology and maximum functionality of each item. It combines the features of such interior styles as constructivism and minimalism.
- correct form;
- plenty of light, no curtains;
- minimum of furniture, open spaces;
- shiny chrome, metal and glass surfaces;
- the accent is created with the help of one bright distinguished element of the interior;
- great importance is attached to the correct lighting, using many point light sources;
- as a few decorative elements, it is permissible to use photographs, graphics, paintings in the style of abstract art;
- availability of modern technology.
- At the base — white, gray, sandy, silver, black;
- For accent any bright color is used.
Country (rustic style) in the interior — it is environmental friendliness, simplicity of everyday life and closeness to nature. It combines good taste, comfort and naturalness.
Features of a rustic style
- an abundance of natural fabrics (cotton, chintz, linen, wool), furniture covers, floral prints, cage, lace;
- floor — wooden board, parquet, tile or decorative stone;
- walls — decorative plaster, elements of brick and masonry, wooden panels, wall paneling, wallpaper with a simple floral pattern;
- furniture — simple and rough wooden, wicker, preferably handmade.
- accessories and décor — handicrafts, mats, napkins, lamps with lampshades, ceramics, forging, aged bronze and brass objects, indoor plants, flowers in vases, antique and vintage items.
Country Style Colors
- pale green;
Provence style has much in common with country music, but at the same time it has a unique French flavor. What features has the interior design of the apartment in the style of Provence? In the first place — it is calm and comfort, elegant unpretentious forms, muted pastel colors.
Expressive features of Provence style
- a large number of wooden objects of light shades with carvings, wooden beams on the ceiling;
- furniture is comfortable and simple, white or light in color, antique or artificially aged, can be decorated with painting, gilding, wrought elements;
- walls can be painted, they can be decorated with decorative plaster, wood panels, brickwork elements painted in light color look appropriate;
- natural textiles decorated with stripes, checkers or floral patterns play an important role; all textile elements have something in common with each other;
- The interior is dominated by floral and floral motifs;
- Baskets, vases, figurines, caskets, plates, pots, embroidery, watercolor paintings, framed photographs, flowers are used as decorative elements.
- pale blue;
- pale green;
- ashen pink;
The interior in the Scandinavian style betrays the character of the northern peoples, who, for all their coldness and severity, appreciate the comfort of home, the warmth of the hearth, and the joyful colors of nature.
Features of the Scandinavian style
- simplicity and roughness of forms;
- use of natural materials: wood, stone, metal, glass, leather, fur, flax, cotton, ceramics;
- simple and practical light wood furniture with natural upholstery;
- good natural light, which contribute to large windows and translucent curtains or the complete absence of them;
- the floors, window and doorways are wooden, light-colored, the walls are plain, white or light, decorated with wooden panels or plaster;
- a minimum of decor, all accessories are simple and bright, handmade items are popular;
- the room is decorated with glass or ceramic vases, bright textiles (pillows, rugs, covers), living plants, photographs, pictures of natural or marine themes, mirrors, and a variety of expressive lamps.
- the main color is white and all its shades;
- the predominance of pastel tones: beige, light brown, pale green, blue, gray, turquoise;
- bright accents — blue, red, green, amber yellow.
The Japanese style is recognizable and original, it expresses the philosophy of harmony with nature. The interior design in the Japanese style has simple strict forms, restraint, a sense of peace, nobility and elegance.
- minimalism, austerity and naturalness, a large amount of free space;
- natural materials: wood, bamboo, rice paper, rough brick, straw, silk;
- the walls are decorated with light wood or fabric, the floor has a natural coating;
- a large amount of soft light, the presence of traditional Japanese Akari lamps, paper shades are required;
- there are only the most necessary pieces of furniture, they are distinguished by simplicity and mobility;
- traditional furnishings — low tables, seat cushions, screens, built-in wardrobes, mobile dressers;
- permissible decorative elements: bamboo, pots with bonsai (dwarf trees), mats made of bamboo and straw, panels with hieroglyphs, vases, caskets, bronze figurines, fans, painted on walls with traditional Japanese subjects.
- the black;
- Dark red;
- natural wood color;
- accents — the color of greenery and cherry blossoms.